At one time, most towns had a music store with a good selection of guitars on
hand. Nowadays you may have to travel miles to find a well-stocked outlet. There
are, however, several mail order dealers that specialize in guitars, often at discounted
Here are some things to keep in mind when dealing with mail order:
- Make sure you’ve played the instrument—in a local music shop or at a friend’s
house— before ordering one.
- Make sure you have a reasonable “trial” period during which you can return
the instrument for a refund (not just a credit).
- Pay for a reputable shipping service such as UPS or Federal Express, and
insure the shipment.
- Determine who handles warranty repairs and adjustments.
- Examine the instrument carefully for damage when you receive it.