In the earliest days, music for the guitar was written in a form known as tablature.
This system indicates exactly where the fingers are to be placed by showing the
strings as six lines, with numbers (or letters) representing the frets. Here is
- The word TAB is conventionally placed at the beginning of the line to distinguish
these lines from those of the musical staff. Here, the lines represent the six
strings, the first string being the top line.
- У0Ф stands for open string. Play the first string with the right hand; do
nothing with the left.
- У1Ф stands for the first fret. Place a finger behind the first fret on the
same string. Play the note.
- У3Ф stands for the third fret. Finger the third fret, play the note.
- The vertical line marks off the measures, as in conventional notation.
Note that the numbers have nothing to do with the fingers. In this example they
happen to coincide, but they refer only to the frets.
Now try playing these examples in succession:
If something sounds familiar, youТre doing well!
The rhythm can be expressed in various ways in tablature, but before discussing
this we need to learn some basics in this area.